Sunday, November 6, 2011

I'm a good Mennonite!


Problem #1: Eric does not eat the heels of the bread we buy, and I don't eat sandwich bread often enough to eat them for him.

Problem #2: Eric loves croutons on his salad (which I don't) and store-bought croutons are an expensive habit to keep up.

Solution: Make homemade croutons!


It was easy! I cut up the bread heels into little cubes, tossed them around with a little olive oil, doused them in garlic and onion powder and misc. Italian seasonings and spices, and baked them in the oven until they were slightly brown and crispy. It was super easy. I felt so resourceful.


I have also felt very arsty and resourceful this weekend as I knit one wool scarf (while catching up on my episodes of The Mentalist, The Office, and New Girl) and made a scarf (tutorial here) and fabric flower pins (tutorial here) out of an old t-shirt.

Let me say it again. An old t-shirt. I know, right? Super cheap and thrifty, and super cute! Plus - no sewing involved! (Although I sewed a little. The tutorials call for fabric glue....I found it easier to quickly sew it by hand...)

Pictures are below. They also highlight my new mustard yellow peacoat - a 6 dollar thrift store find! I love it so much. I love the color, love the warmth. I am beginning to realize - I love dressing for cold, and I hate the cold itself. I hate the need to dress in such clothes, but I love the boots, the scarves, the mittens, the hats...the boots....






4 comments:

  1. $6 super cute yellow coat? Jealous! I need to go thrift store shopping in KC! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you do! Swing by anytime! haha. I've also had good finds in Denver. I think it has something to do with the big city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 99 cent thrift store t-shirt. I have a lot of old t-shirts....but I'm about to make a quilt and didn't want to cut any of them up yet.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Kansas City, KS
Newly married, newly moved, newly blogging...we'll see how this goes!